U card access for general purpose classrooms
This information is for Office of Classroom Management (OCM) classrooms ONLY. For access to other spaces (e.g., lounges, computer labs, offices), please visit the Department of Central Security website.
Card access policy
All OCM classrooms on the University of Minnesota Twin Cities campus fitted with U Card door locks are programmed to automatically open before the first class of the day and remain open until the last class of the day has concluded. After the last class, the card reader will automatically lock and remain locked until the next class the following day. During the standard class day no special keys or cards are needed to enter the classroom.
For more information about classrooms hours, go to Classroom Hours of Operation.
For a list of OCM classrooms, go to Room Inventory.
AV booths and service closets are locked at all times and have restricted access (e.g., faculty, support staff). Booth access is set up in advance for faculty teaching in classrooms with an associated booth space necessary for teaching.
For more information about the University's U Card access policy, please review the University's Building Access policy.
Permanent Full and Part-Time Employees
- Requests for card access must be made in writing via email or memorandum by supervisors or Department Access Coordinator.
- Requests for card access should be made at least one week in advance of the desired activation date.
- Staff are responsible for following all rules and regulations of the University when accessing the facility after regular hours of operation.
- Student employee card access will be assigned for a period no longer than a current academic period. (Fall Semester, Spring Semester, Summer, Winter Break, etc.)
- Card Access privileges for students must be submitted by their supervisor or Department Access Coordinator.
- Card Access requests for students must be made one week in advance of the desired activation request.
- Card Access for all students will expire on the last day of the semester.
- Card Access for students shall be regulated to building hours or office hours. Twenty-four hour access will be granted only if there is a clear need for the extended access.
- Students are responsible for following all rules and regulations of the University when accessing the facility after regular hours of operation.
Lost, stolen or Forgotten U Cards
- Students or staff, if your U Card is lost, stolen, or damaged, please contact the U Card office for a replacement card. Need more information about replacing your U Card, go to Replacement U Card.
- Supervisors are responsible for contacting the Office of Classroom Management with up-to-date access information and changes to include lost or stolen cards, employee hires, and employee terminations.
In order for OCM to process U Card access requests you must provide your first and last name, U card number, iCLASS number (if applicable), and building name and room number of the space(s) you would like access to. To request access to OCM space, complete the U Card Access Request form.
The Office of Classroom Management submits all U Card access requests to the Department of Central Security (DCS). It can take DCS 48 hours to process a request. Once OCM receives confirmation that your U Card has been programmed, OCM will send you a confirmation email.
For requests or questions