University of Minnesota Office of Classroom Management
Office of Undergraduate Education

Click on any of the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) below to see the answer and additional troubleshooting tips regarding common classroom questions.

Show all answers | Hide all answers


Why doesn't the door handle turn when I try to open the door? Is the classroom locked?

If you are trying to access a classroom during the standard classroom hours of operation or have a scheduled activity the door should not be locked. Some classrooms have rigid door handles that require the user to push on the door to open it.

If you have attempted pushing the door and are still unable to gain access to the classroom, please call the Classroom Support Hotline at 612-625-1086.

Is it possible to get additional chairs or tables placed in my classroom?

The quantity and setup of classroom furniture is based on several factors, including capacity requirements/limitations as well as building and fire codes. We are not able to alter the quantity of furniture in our classrooms, as our furniture inventory is limited to the items permanently placed in classrooms. The availability of extra furniture includes only enough for repairing damaged items.

If you find the room furniture inadequate or have specific needs, please contact the Office of Classroom Management scheduling department at to arrange for a different room.

For ADA or special needs: We want to make sure we meet your needs with the appropriate classroom furniture. With this in mind, if you have an ADA or special needs request, we encourage you to register through the Disability Resource Center on campus, who can make a request for the appropriate furniture on your behalf.

What should I do if the furniture in my classroom is missing or damaged?

If any of the furniture in your classroom is missing or damaged, please contact our Classroom Support Hotline at 612-625-1086 or

How do I get extra classroom supplies like markers, chalk, erasers, or batteries?

If your classroom is low on markers, chalk, erasers, or batteries, please contact our Classroom Support Hotline at 612-625-1086 or We will replenish the supply within the next two days.

If the markers are starting to run dry and the new marker dispenser on the wall is empty, you can "refresh the marker" by placing the cap on tightly and setting the marker tip side down. The ink will flow into the tip and allow you to continue using them until the dispenser is refilled. Please also report this situation to the Hotline.

If your classroom is completely out of markers, chalk, erasers, or batteries and you need one or more of these items to continue with instruction, please call the Classroom Support Hotline at 612-625-1086 and we will send additional supplies to your classroom as soon as possible.

What are the benefits of markerboards in classrooms?

Currently, 98% of general purpose classrooms are projection capable. So what does that have to do with markerboards and why is replacing chalkboards with markerboards important?

Replacing chalkboards with markerboards is important for projection capable classrooms because chalk dust is destructive to electronics, computers, and projection equipment. Chalk dust can infiltrate into equipment clogging filters, coating lenses, increasing heat in the projectors which can destroy circuit boards, interfering with operation of mechanical parts, and causing a reduction in the service life and performance of the equipment and systems.

In addition to the problems chalk dust creates for the projection system in the room it also creates problems for custodians trying to clean the classrooms. Chalk dust can create a coating on all of the surfaces in the classrooms.

Markerboards used today are greatly improved over earlier surfaces. OCM works closely with Facilities Management to make sure custodians understand OCM’s standards for markerboard classrooms.

Feedback from faculty and students indicates that all appreciate the cleanliness that results from markerboards. Additionally, many note that there is an improved contrast with markerboards, making them easier for students to read.

OCM attempts to consult and coordinate with user departments or colleges in advance of hanging the writing surfaces in general purpose classrooms. Also, in order to accommodate the needs of faculty members who require chalkboards, OCM maintains a mix of both markerboard and chalkboard equipped classrooms.

I left an item in a classroom. Where is the Lost and Found on campus?

First, look again in the classroom you were in. Items are often left in the room. While the University of Minnesota does not have a centralized Lost and Found, you can contact the Facilities Management (FM) Call Center at 612-624-2900. If a custodian finds the item in a classroom, he or she will most likely return it to the FM office.

The following campus buildings have their own Lost and Found:

  • Coffman Memorial Union: The Information Desk serves as Coffman's Lost and Found. Items are held for two weeks from the day turned in. You can either visit the Information Desk or call 612-624-INFO to inquire about a lost item.
  • Robert H. Bruininks Hall (BruH): The Helping U desk on the 3rd Floor serves as the BruH Lost and Found. Items are held for one month from the day turned in. You can visit the Helping U desk, or contact One Stop at 612-624-1111 or to inquire about a lost item.
  • West Bank Buildings: The Facilities Management West Bank Office serves as the West Bank's Lost and Found. You can visit the office (57 Heller Hall) or call 612-624-7831 to inquire about a lost item.
  • Carlson School of Management: The Carlson School Mail room serves as the Carlson School's Lost and Found. You can visit the mail room (L-142) or call 612-625-1340 to inquire about a lost item.
  • St. Paul Student Center: The Information Desk serves as the St. Paul Student Center's Lost and Found. Items are held for two weeks from the day turned in. You can visit the Information Desk or call 612-625-9794 to inquire about a lost item.

If none of the above work, you could also try calling a departmental office at the building in which you lost the item.