University of Minnesota Office of Classroom Management
Office of Undergraduate Education

Click on any of the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) below to see the answer and additional troubleshooting tips regarding common classroom questions.

Show all answers | Hide all answers


Where can I find instructions for a specific classroom?

To find room-specific instructions, as well as general equipment instructions and video tutorials for some technology, visit

Is instructional technology training available?

The Office of Classroom Management offers equipment orientation sessions to any classroom users who are interested in learning more about the equipment and its capabilities.

To set up a meeting, please contact the OCM Support Line, at 612-625-1086 or

What is a Projection Capable Classroom?

The Projection Capable Classroom (PCC) encompasses a set criteria for design and installation of technology in UMTC classrooms. The PCC is the baseline for technology in general purpose classrooms. A room designated as PCC includes the following technical infrastructure for teaching and learning:

  • fixed data/video projection capability
  • Internet connectivity at instructor station
  • wireless student networking
  • smart control system with networking option
  • user friendly laptop interface
  • standardized operating protocol familiar to UofM faculty
  • may have other modular “add-on” capabilities for instance: document cameras, installed computers, special I/O devices
  • “Hotline” phone for instructor
  • accessibility features
  • flexible growth potential - able to interface new devices

For more information on which general purpose classrooms offer the PCC technology package, please use the Room Inventory.

Where can I find photos of General Purpose Classrooms?

To see what each General Purpose Classroom looks like, you can view a classroom photo by using our Room Inventory:

  1. Search for the classroom(s) of interest.
  2. On the Classroom Search Results page, click the icon in the "Instructions" column for that classroom's row.
  3. From that page, you can view the classroom photo and other important details about the classroom.

What is the difference between a departmental classroom and a general purpose classroom?

General purpose classrooms are centrally-managed, supported, and scheduled by the Office of Classroom Management. They are designed to meet the teaching and learning needs of a broad range of academic programs and to support the entire University community. General purpose classrooms spaces are use code 110 in University Space Management System.

  • If you have any comments, questions, or concerns, or are experiencing a problem with the classroom technology, please contact the Classroom Support Hotline at 612-625-1086 or

Departmental classrooms are individually-managed, supported, and scheduled by individual academic departments at the University of Minnesota. They are designed to meet the specific and more specialized needs of a given department or program. For example, studios, class labs, and special use classrooms are considered departmental classrooms. These spaces are use code 120 in University Space Management System.

  • If you have any comments, questions, or concerns about a departmental classroom, please direct these to the department that manages the classroom.

What is an Active Learning Classroom?

Active Learning Classrooms (ALCs) are designed as student-centered, integrated, flexible, active learning spaces. These are intended to stimulate interest in new and innovative classrooms, to demonstrate new flexible classroom construction techniques, and to allow faculty and student assessment of new classroom designs and pedagogy.

For more information about Active Learning Classrooms, including pictures of the rooms, please click here.