Class Schedule Production
Class Schedule Production Instructions
1. Print the Class Schedule Summary report available in UM Reports as a starting point.
2. Work with your faculty and instructors to obtain updated information for the term.
3. Update the information using the ECS pages in PeopleSoft.
a. Delete courses that will not be offered this term.
b. Set enrollment limits and requested room capacities at last year's course enrollment (+/- 10%)
c. Adjust all non-standard courses to a standard time.
d. Add facility ROOM000TBA to all sections that will meet in a Departmental Space (or add specific Departmental Space) into the Facility ID field in ECS. For sections with meeting patterns that will not require any room assignment (online?) add the facility NOROOMREQ in the Facility ID field in ECS.
4. Review the Class Scheduling Distribution Summary Report to assess department/college compliance with New Scheduling Policy distribution of meeting times (no more than 3% in any standard time block) and distribution of meeting patterns (no more than 50% meeting on Tuesday/Thursday). The Class Scheduling Distribution Summary is updated from ECS nightly allowing you to check the effect any changes you made on compliance by looking at the report the following day. NOTE: THIS REPORT CAN BE AN EXCELLENT TOOL FOR IDENTIFYING DAYS/TIMES TO SCHEDULE NEW CLASS SECTIONS WHEN GENERAL PURPOSE CLASSROOM INVENTORY IS MORE LIKELY TO BE AVAILABLE.
5. Avoid scheduling course sections in high demand periods/days.
Requesting a General Purpose Scheduled Classroom
Please make your classroom needs known during ECS Period 1 by indicating the special room characteristics (technology, seating styles, etc.) needed to facilitate teaching by using the room characteristic codes accessible in the meeting pattern page of ECS. You may use a maximum of four room characteristics.
If you have priority agreements in general purpose classrooms, those rooms will be available for your selection in ECS. REMEMBER: ROOM SCHEDULING PRIORITIES ARE ONLE RECOGNIZED DURING ECS PERIOD 1. Priority requests must be made during ECS Period 1.
Classes with non-standard meeting times requiring general purpose
classrooms will be assigned classrooms on a low priority/space available
basis. Scheduling cannot guarantee that these courses will be placed in a general purpose classroom.
Academic departments will be notified of general purpose classroom assignments when the room assignments for course offerings are loaded to the One Stop class schedule.
If you have special requests that cannot be documented using ECS (disability requirements, instructors teaching back-to-back courses, etc.), please send an e-mail to email@example.com.